Twitter Reviews

9/6/07

Labels: , , , , , , ,


I'll never forget my first Mike White film experience. I saw Chuck & Buck, a film he wrote and stars in, at the Seattle Film Festival. It was so weird, awkward and uncomfortable to watch. But definitely funny and extremely unique, that I marked him down as a guy to watch for. He went on to write The Good Girl and School of Rock, two films I really enjoyed.


Year of the Dog is the first film he's directed, so I was very interested in seeing it. It's a weird little dramedy about a woman whose dog dies. It hits her hard, it's the only real love she had in her life. From there things get worse. She meets some new guys, makes some changes in her life, becoming a vegan and an animal activist. Soon she's living with 15 dogs and her life is in complete shambles. It's a film about a woman finding out who she really is, by making every mistake in the word. Molly Shannon is perfect in the lead role, John C. Reilly, Peter Sarsgaard and Laura Dern show up in very memerable supporting roles.

Mike White is creating a very unique filmography, and I can't wait to see what he comes up with next.

0 Responses to Year of the Dog: