Twitter Reviews

10/7/07

Labels: , , , , , , ,


I've watched a few of Showtime's Masters of Horror series, and haven't really been impressed so far. I'd pretty much given up on it, until I read about the supposed awesomeness of Takashi Miike's Imprint. I've been a fan of Miikes for about 5-6 years. His films are always interesting, he's constantly changing genres, but you can always count on something weird going on. He pushes the limit of good taste, and has made some of the most twisted films of the last decade. (Eli Roth has nothing on this guy.) He gained some attention for Audition a few years back, but nothing else has broken out in the States. Although One Missed Call, his version of J-Horror, is getting a typical American remake.

Imprint is about a white man, played by cult-hero Billy Drago, in 19th Century Japan searching all the countries brothels for his long lost love. He starts talking with a deformed prostitute, who weaves a twisted tale about her history and eventually what happened to girl. For the most part I was kind of bored, for only being 50 minutes long, it started to drag a bit. But the eventual torture sequence is some of the nastiest stuff I've ever seen. I almost had to close my eyes through some of it... and these scenes never bother me. I laughed through the Saw films.

So if you're really into gross-outs, this is the film for you. If not, don't bother.




1 Response to Masters of Horror: Imprint:

  1. Just discovered your blog. Love the title of it. I also happened to watch and review Imprint today and then found your review of it. Takashi Miike is out of control!

    Take a look at my review of Imprint on Horror Dose if you're interested.

    Cheers!