Twitter Reviews

10/17/07

Labels: , , , , , ,


When it comes right down to it, horror-comedy is probably my favorite genre to watch. It mixes my two favorite genres into one. But they're extremely hard to pull off... you have to have the right tone, where one genre doesn't outweigh the other. If it's too funny, it isn't scary. And if it's too scary, well, I guess you can still laugh, but you couldn't call it a comedy. I don't know, I guess you can't really overdo the horror... at least for my tastes. Some of my favorite horror-comedies include: Tremors, American Werewolf in London, Scream, Hostel, Cabin Fever, with my all-time favorite being Shaun of the Dead - Although it's my favorite genre to watch; it doesn't include any of my top 20 films, like I said, they're hard to pull off right.

Severance does a good job with it. I was laughing throughout, mostly at the office moral building talk. The death scenes are all pretty good. Laura Harris does a great job with the lead, she's pretty believable towards the end when she turns into a badass, and she looks damn good doing it. The scene where the nerdy guy gets his leg cut off by the animal trap is classic, hilariously brutal. What didn't make this an out-and-out classic for me is the bad guys. Even at the end I was never sure who they were and why they were killing everybody. There were a couple of allusions towards who they could be, but I don't remember if the film ever gave a definitive answer. And to top it off, they were boring, no real personality. The best horror films, have memorable villians.

Otherwise this is a pretty kick-ass little film. Very funny, with a couple of good characters and some fun, inventive death scenes.


0 Responses to Severance: